Effective Directorship Tips
- Work streams should always be ranked, so there is no ambiguity about priorities. If everything is important, nothing is important.
- Attempt to limit concurrent work streams, encourage engagement and ownership. Switching between work streams has inherent overhead which will lead to a significant efficiency loss. link
- Nuanced communication does not scale. Keep your messaging simple and consistent.
- Focus on ensuring initiatives and tasks are completed once they’re started. They can easily get lost in the churn of shifting priorities, which can lead to a significant amount of time being lost.
- Generally, teams should work at ~80% of their capacity. Although this may appear less efficient, it’s not. It allows teams to better adapt to unforeseen circumstances, it promotes creativity and innovation, and it prevents burnout.